Saturday, August 23, 2008

Opinions

It was mostly through the winter that I started semi-showing a little bit. Nobody knew unless they were our good friends, because I had jackets on. As soon as spring hit, it got hotter. (After all, this IS Arizona.. Doesn't stay winter for long) People just looked. Nobody really said much, to me anyway. They talked amongst themselves. It bothered me at first, but I guess I got used to it and soon didn't notice the ridicule. I learned to ignore it. After a while people began to ask. "Katie, are you gaining weight?" "Katie, is there something you want to tell us." My teachers (because I was still in school) never asked. They just knew I guess. I will admit, I loved the special attention and being able to get out of class when I wanted due to the fact that I had to "use the restroom." It was sort of embarrassing walking down the hall and everyone moving for you. It's not like I was going to push them all down with this belly.
I was still a teenager. But I guess that's something people don't realize. A lot of people just aren't mature enough to handle the fact that I was having a baby. Even people in my family (not my immediate family), would talk about me to other aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. It's really something that you would think, people would learn to accept. I still have a couple cousins that just can't seem to get over things. They like to say mean things just because.
"Katie really gained a lot of weight!" That one was my favorite. After all, I wasn't pregnant or anything.
"Katie's not going to know how to raise a teenager." NOBODY DOES! I don't care if you're 15, or 35. You've never done it before so you won't know how it's done. You learn as you go. A baby is a learning experience. You don't just wake up in the hospital after giving birth and know exactly what to say and do every step of the way.
"I never told anyone anything." You know how said that first one was my favorite.. I changed my mind! Everyone would always say they weren't talking. But come on, it's common sense. I'm no where near being stupid.

I had a teacher at school, man, I'll never forget. "You're parents should have raised you better." This lady has apparently never met my mom and dad. I have a VERY smart dad, who believe it or not, I do take after. I have a mom who's worked extremely hard for all 4 of us since day one. You can be the very best parent in the world and still come out with a kid that is just not the little angel you wanted him/her to be.

Every time I walked out in public I would get looks as if I was some sort of alien or something. Like nobody's ever seen such a thing. Open your eyes people, it's 2008! The sad part about that, I never looked at anyone, I never noticed they were starring at me. But boy they didn't give up. I was just trying to go about my business and not mind everyone else. I guess it just goes to show how immature people truly are. Not being able to ACCEPT. Think about this, Jesus accepted everyone. God will except even the most violent people from here on Earth and take him when he leaves. But people can't even simply PRETEND they weren't noticing me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear my bestest friend katie,
wow 4th grade was a long time ago when we met and i thought we would never be friends :). Over the years i have grown to love you and your family. Seeing you as a mom is one of the most special things i have ever seen. You have taught me so much about myself and about who i want to become. I admire your strength and perseverince to live life the way God intended it and you will never know how much you have changed my life. you are more special to me (and my family. including gggale)than you will ever know and i love you with all my heart! i cannot wait to see you and my beautiful baby nephew who i love! Your the greatest!!
I love you
Ash
ps: give that baby a huge snuggle for me! :)